 Marketplace / Shopping / 2487
Re: Stupid: Bought an Open Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 01:31:36 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Mark Herzberg writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
things that looked interesting for a clearance price.  One of them was a
Technic 8207 "Dune Duster".
Unfortunately, I didn't notice until I got it home that the box had been
opened and re-taped.  Funny too, because I checked the other 3 sets I bought
for that sort of thing.  So inevitably it's missing pieces, like half kit.
I'm not going to count but out of 82 pieces I'd guess I have about 40-50.

Just call LEGO Consumer Affairs. Replacement parts are free (in most cases,
including yours).

Thanx Mark.  I caught a thread along this line in the Star Wars group, where
somebody was missing a Boba Fett from an opened Slave I set.  The issue came
up of whether LEGO should be replacing the parts free of charge.  In cases of
missing parts from sealed sets, I think they should.  In cases of missing
parts from tampered sets, then I think it's the store's responsibility.  But
in my case, it was a specifically discounted buyer beware type thing, although
there was no sign to that effect, and no note on the box that said "missing
pieces".  So in that case I figure neither the store nor LEGO should have to
pay for the parts.

I dunno, maybe it's just my conscience acts up when it seems like I'd be
taking advantage of one of the few companies I have respect for.  Is it
specifically a LEGO policy that they will provide free replacement pieces for
sets that are missing them, regardless of the reason or sale price?  I'd
assume this only applied to a retail sale (i.e., taxable)?

Thanx again,
KDJ

My suggestion is this...call and ask.  I'm sure they'll be able to tell you
official TLC policy on this.  If they say they'll replace it in any case then
your conscience is clear, otherwise you'll know better next time.  You'd be
amazed how lenient some companies are in the interest of customer goodwill and
as long as the customer doesn't abuse it.

Matt