 Marketplace / Shopping / 2000
1999  |  2001
Subject:
Possible private electronic funds transfer for eBay and other online buying/selling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:22:37 GMT

(wondering if this is the most appropriate group for this, or if it's
even appropriate at all - lemme know)

I mentioned this to a smaller group of Lugnetters (is that a word)
earlier and at least a couple of them thought it was worth a shot, so
I'm going to repost the details here.  I'd advise anyone interested to
take a look at this site and decide for yourselves if you want to sign
up.  I did, and Rachael did, and several other people I know have, and
they all seem satisfied with the deal so far.

I'll preface all this with the thought that this may be a cool way to
make and receive payments for stuff you buy at online auctions.

Ok, forgive me if this seems wacky, but I just signed up for an
account at www.x.com last night after hearing from several others I
know personally who have had good experiences with them.  Here's what
they seem to be in a nutshell.  I'm sure some of you have much more
experience with some of this stuff than I do, so if you look at it and
think I'm crazy, let me know.

They seem to be an online bank of some kind.  When you sign up for an
account you get an interest-bearing checking account (into which they
deposit $20) and evidently a set of checks and a Visa check card.  I
know someone who has gotten his and used it, so they seem legit.  One
of my online buddies actually said he's gotten better customer service
from this place than from his local bank.

They make it possible for you to deposit money into their account by
using an e-check from your account or a credit card/check card.

They have a few "investment" options that I'm not qualified to judge -
some kind of S&P index fun, CDs, things like that.

What's most interesting for me, besides the fact that they have a
referral program that nets you $10 for each person who signs up and
lists you as the referrer (cjc@newsguy.com is the address I (Rachael)
used, btw), is this "Pay a Friend" thing.  It looks like it is
basically a no-fee transfer of electronic funds from one member's
X.com account to another.

I can't take credit for this idea since one of my buddies is already
doing it, but he buys and sells on eBay and he said what he's done
several times is send the high bidder in his auction the sign-up link
crediting himself as the referer, letting them know they can just "pay
a friend" to cover the cost of the item he's selling.  Now the $20
they give you on sign-up aside, from the way he describes it, all they
have to do is use their CC to deposit funds, then transfer those funds
to him.  'Course, he also usually gets $10 for referring them as well.

BTW, if you sign up for one of these accounts, feel free to use my
address - I won't turn down money, but don't think that's the reason
I'm writing this - I'm just a little interested/excited about the
possibility of removing some of the mail/paper business from my own
online auctions, and possibly other peoples' as well.

If you want a direct link to sign up and give me credit as the
referer, you can go here:

https://preview.x.com/new_account.asp?Referrer=cjc@newsguy.com

I'd like to know what others think about this.  Based on the few
people I've seen sign-up so far, at least some of the people I've
shared this with before think it's worth taking a look at.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/