 Marketplace / Shopping / 12195
12194  |  12196
Subject:
New Target lineup, was Re: Slim pickings at Target?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:51:51 GMT

Your Target may not have rolled out the new display today. Mine did.

I found a refreshed display of 2005 sets today. Some of the prominent items:

mini Bionicle, Dino Attack, Knight's Kingdom 2005 (minus the big castle), play
armor and swords for the first time, regular Bionicle, police station & other
Town sets, red bucket. No classic Star Wars, just Episode 3.

Duplo moved away, and MegaBloks & other brands moved in. This means MegaBloks
Pyrates, Superheroes, & some Dragons meet your eye just as you get through Lego
Town.

Surely Harry Potter will get space somewhere later this year.

4 Juniors was not around (no Lego pirates), but over past the doll aisles I
found a Duplo section with no Duplo Castle, just Lego Ville (nice name) themed
police, fire, and farm sets. Also Thomas the Tank Engine had a display case.
Right next to that is Megabloks Mega pirate ship & castle playset.

Target made a decision that MegaBloks gets to play Pirates & Superheroes this
year, with Castle a toss up. They have pushed the two brands closer than ever.

Interestingly, the Duplo area is interlocked with Playmobil (two awesome brands
that can play nice together). I almost loaded up on Playmobil unicorn sets! The
tree with owl from the Robin Hood theme (1995) is back with a unicorn, at $9.99.
However, this hints that Playmobil is considered a younger toy than ever before
since it moved away with Duplo.

One thing that strikes me about the Duplo Lego Ville people is how much they
look like Bratz.