 Marketplace / Shopping / 10698
Re: Tragic News for Detroit Area Clearance buffs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:25:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Justin Pankey wrote:
As if the closing of the Toys R' Us at 8 Mile and Van Dyke wasn't enough...I
found today the TARGET store in the same plaza has sudenly closed as well.  No
going out of business sale..just a quiet closing of a store that was a gold mine
for 75% off Lego.  We will all mourn the loss :o(

Just Detroit Area Clearance buffs ? I travel to Detroit on business quite often
- the company I work for does business with the automotive industry - so I have
a route which visits all the TRUs and Targets in the general western half of the
greater Detroit area. (We just got our first Target here in Upstate NY just
before Xmas last year, which is why they were on my Detroit must visit list.) I
tend to clear the shelves if there's anything good on offer. I have also found a
few really good deals at Meijer, which we also don't have here.

I wonder if any of the Detroit Area AFOLs notice when us out of towners come in
and clear your stores out ;)

Anyhow, "its a sad thing for all of us" is what I wanted to say.

Sure is, as one of easily the biggest beneficiaries of that little cubbyhole (I
know I've spent at least $3000 on 75%-plus-off sets there in the last four
years, though the last time I went just three weeks ago they didn't have
anything below 50%).

To be honest with you, in the last year and a half that store was paling in
comparison to Northland for good hauls.  I bought two sets at 8 & Van Dyke, but
landed almost 40 at Northland at 75% off, including several OE sets--it was
amazing.  8 and Vernier isn't too bad either, but you have to get there early,
and it's a bit of a ways.

best

LFB

Trust me, us Detroit area AFOL's are visiting all area stores to get what we
want. Many of us do not actually live near Detroit. Dozens of stores are in the
Detroit metro area. Dozens more outside of the metro area. If it is still on the
shelves when you get there, it means we did not need it.

I am one of the few AFOL's in southeast Michigan that lives conveniently between
Detroit, Port Huron, Flint, Saginaw, etc. I visit around 30 to 40 different
stores each month.

But as for you out of town AFOL's, don't get caught. You have heard how people
vanish around here (maniacal laugh).

Steve Weiser