 Marketplace / Shopping / 10427
Re: Funny Meijer Shopping Experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:37:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Paul Janssen writes:
Yesterday I went to Meijer to check out thier clearance toy sale, it was
25-50% off selected items (mainly Lego soccer sets, a few bionicle). At the
entrance I was handed a coupon, for an additional 25% off all clearance
toys, my day just got better. I found a few good sets, all 30% off, but upon
scanning them, I found out they were actually 50% off. The store manager was
in the isle, and saw me loading up my cart. He told me, "isn't it a good
deal, Lego at 75% off?". I told him that is was not 75% but only 62.5% off.
no, he said, 50% + 25% is 75%. I explained to him that the 25% comes of the
50%, making the sale effectively 62.5%. He insisted it was 75%. I explained
again, with an example of a $40 set. He refused to accept, and claimed all
was 75% off. Great I said, I gave him my cart, picked up another one, filled
it up, and told him to go checkout with me. Of course, at the register the
discount was 62.5%, the $40 set was now $15, not $10. He said "that computer
must be wrong", sticking to his math. He had the girl at the counter ring it
up for full price, and then had her take 75% off.

I don't think I took advantage of it, he was the head manager, employs
50-100 employees, and should know his math regaring sales percentages. What
would you have done?

You got 2 cartfuls at 75% off instead of 62.5% off? I probably would have
made it 3 carts! You tried very hard to explain and the manager wanted to
have it his way. Great.

Our Meijer was running a "take an additional 10% off all general
merchandise" sale yesterday so I got (on the 50% clearance stuff) 50% plus
25% of 50 (62.5%) plus 10% of 62.5% ( 68.75% ) off my goodies. Not too
shabby but 6.25% less than you got. :-)