 Marketplace / Shopping / 10422
Re: Anymore B&M Walmart markdowns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:26:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, George Notel writes:
I've visited some of my local Wal-Marts and haven't found the great markdown
deals that existed at Target, so therefore there's still a lot of stock.
Does Wal-Mart do another mark down?  It looks like they're at almost 50%
now.  Maybe on February 1?  Anyone know?

   Wal-Mart has a discretionary budget for management regarding
   markdowns.  In short, they can let things go for less if they
   feel it's not moving; they spent their clearance dollars to
   make those "in-store specials."  Some store managers get rid
   of it right away; others don't mark down until March.  My
   suggestion, if there is a *lot* of stuff that's not moving,
   is to go in after 1 February and offer to take it off their
   hands if you can get an additional discount.  They may do this
   but you generally have to take *all* of it!

   I had a Wal-Mart where I did this regularly, and so I would
   walk out three or four times a year with $2500 worth of LEGO
   each time, all at 75% off.  It's just a matter of building
   a relationship and finding a manager who's amenable.

   So in short, there is no hard and fast rule regarding markdown
   schedules that is chain-wide.

   best

   LFB