 Marketplace / Shopping / 10338
Re: Build, Test and BUY (at Legoland CA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 19:42:13 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mike Walsh writes:

"David Schilling" <davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

I suppose the reason they started selling bricks is either because people
kept asking if they could take their creations home, or more likely • because
people just did it without asking.

[ ... snipped ... ]

While it has been a while since I was at LEGOLand, when I was there I had a
conversation with the woman working the build and race area.  It was a
weekday and not very crowded.  She told me that the level of theft (her word
not mine) - people building something and taking it with them - was
extremely high.  She said it was the primary reason wheels were so scarce.
Even though there were signs asking people not to take things appartently
many people felt it didn't apply to them.

I too, had a similar weekday conversation with the lady at B&T in LEGOLand
CA recently, and understood her point about the wheels.  However, I was
offended that LEGO could find a way to raise admission and parking rates and
not to control the B&T area better.  I didn't share my offence with the
lady, of course, but I can express it here...

Most kids that build cars and race them there want to keep them, naturally.
I don't think there's a criminal element roaming LEGOLand looking for free
parts.  Kids are proud of their creations and can't just let them be torn
apart by the next guy/gal.  I think they should be allowed to keep what they
build.  Is it REALLY worth LEGO's hiring of another employee dedicated as a
Wheel Librarian/ABS Scale Operator?  For heaven's sake - give kids what they
should have before they get to B&T:

1.  A small LEGO set handed out at the turnstile that includes four wheels
and some technic beams and axles.
2.  Directions to the Build and Test area of the park.
3.  A welcome that's backed up with something tangible for your money!
4.  Stock the B&T area with basic bricks and some other miscellany that's
not as attractive to "borrowers"

Let the B&T lady earn her keep by selling bulk bricks outside the Model Shop
like they used to.  If the kids don't use the B&T area, they get a great
souvenir.  My guess is that LEGO would lose less parts and gain more
satisfied customers this way.

And why don't they have simple vending machines with bricks in them
throughout the park yet?!

Arggh.  De-soapboxed now.

Ed