 Marketplace / Shipping / 490
Re: A small mystery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 17:40:05 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Ray Sanders writes:
Back in Oct 2001, I shipped a package to the UK. The addressee never received
it. I had almost given the package up as lost, when I received a notice
yesterday that I had a 'returned package' waiting at the post office with $35
due. The package turns out to be one in the same. Its a bit scuffed and worn,
but not crushed. The various labels indicate that it was in the UK by last
Thanksgiving (late Nov) and was there until at least the second week of Feb when
it was returned. The mystery is why was it in the care of Parcel Force Worldwide
for ~3 months and why it was finally sent back. I know part of why it was sent
back, because thats what I checked on the customs form. I can think of several
possibilities, but none of them make sense with respect to the buyer having
inquired several times about what happened to his package. This is a mystery.

Anyone out there have any good ideas about what happened here ?

I have 2 packages gone MIA that were shipped to the UK via Parcel Post
AirMail, one in Jan-2001, one in Feb-2002.  Neither were insured and are
therefore not traceable by the USPS.  As a rule, I always check the 'Return
to Sender' box.

A few weeks ago, I received back a package shipped to the Netherlands in
Dec-2001.  This package was insured although the package was returned before
the trace was completed.  I was not charged for the return shipment and was
not charged to re-ship the package because it was returned in error (my
story).  According to my customer in the Netherlands, the package was
mistakenly transferred to the wrong package service in the Netherlands.
They let it sit for a few weeks and the automatically returned it.  It most
likely sat in the return pile until a sufficient number of packages was
queued up for return.

I don't know if the re-shipped package has arrived yet.

-Rob.