 Marketplace / Shipping / 206
Re: Shipping and Insurance (US -> Oz)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:43:37 GMT

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 06:49:19 GMT, Jamie Obrien
<jamien@interworx.com.au> wrote:
Hi, has anybody had any experience with insurance from North America
to Australia? I'm looking for a set which will propably go for
$200US+, and would rather be safe than sorry and have it insured. BUT
is it worth it, and would they actually pay out on the sum insured. A
friend got burned last year importing computer equipment from the US
(old apple 2 stuff, 2000$Aus but only got paid $400Aus).

Go to http://ircalc.usps.gov/ , select "A Package", select Australia
and enter the estimated package weight.  Select Parcel Post -Air or
Surface (Small Packet, if available is not insurable).

On the next screen click yes for insurance, then select a return
reciept option and enter the estimated value for a total cost.

Now to answer your question:  In order to pursue an insurance claim
you need proof of VALUE.  This is not the same as the amount you paid.
If the item is used and not currently available for sale, you need to
provide evidence of value such as an appraisal or a recognizably
expert opion as to the items worth.

Document the transaction completely including all agreements as to
payment amount and descriptions of goods.  I've used e-mail
correspondence successfully in domestic claims with the USPS.  I would
also negotiate with the buyer that the insurance claim be processed by
them.

I'm not sure how International claims work, check with the Australian
postal service and find out how such a claim be filed should a service
failure occur.

Above all, packaging is key.

Hope this helps,

-Rob.