 Marketplace / Services / 507
Re: Paypal exchange rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:27:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Jeff Jardine writes:
Yesterday, I considered making a withdrawl from my paypal account for the
first time.  The exchange rate from $US to $CDN is disappointing.
They brag about how great their rates were in October 2001:

"PayPal's Improved Canadian Exchange Rate

PayPal now offers our Canadian members a new, improved Canadian foreign
exchange rate. The table below shows how PayPal's competitive exchange rates
will give you more money.

Compare PayPal's Canadian Exchange Rate for Withdrawals
              USD   Rate Canadian Dollars
C2it          $100 1.4729 $147.29
Western Union $100 1.5151 $151.51
PayPal        $100 1.5520 $155.20

Published rates from October 23, 2001"

When I looked into a withdrawl yesterday, the rate they gave me was 1.4941.
The rate at www.oanda.com is 1.5392.
This amounts to 3% surcharge - another rip-off of international customers.

Yes but it may be a bigger or smaller rip than the competition... can you
easily determine what the C2it or WU rates are for the same date as the
1.4941 rate you quote? Or conversly can you determine the 23 October oanda
rate to see if it's 3% less?

That would be interesting info... when I went to oanda and put that date in,
I got a rate of  100 US Dollar = 157.850 Canadian Dollar  so there was some
surcharge then too... not as much percentage wise as now though!