 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 15187
15186  |  15188
Subject:
Car Ferry kit now taking orders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:08:26 GMT

Ladies and gentlemen, cover your ears, the ship's whistle is about to
sound....

OK, now we've got that out of the way, I am happy to announce that  the Car
Ferry has completed development, I have entered all 3000-plus pieces of it
into LDraw (that was a marathon!) and I'm now ready to take orders. You can
see pictures of the completed model at
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-carf.htm

Highlights include:

Remarkably strong construction - you can pick this *heavy*, 29" long model
up by the bow and stern quite safely
Two completely smooth-surfaced car lanes, each 8 studs wide and 7 bricks
high
Multiple removable decks to give access to all passenger and crew areas
Completely detailed enclosed passenger lounge with seating, snack bar,
bathrooms, children's play area, telephone. fire axe mounted behind glass
(my favorite detail!), tourist brochure racks, and more
Open promenade deck with seating, life-jacket lockers, and derrick-mounted
inflatable boats for emergencies
Crew bridge with two sets of instruments for navigation in either direction
Radar, radio, searchlights etc on the top deck
Many, many details including navigation lights, roll indicator, wipers for
the bridge windows, etc etc etc
Includes a yellow pickup truck, with space for up to 16 small cars and
trucks in total
Crew and passenger minifigs will be included, but I have not finalised how
many or exactly how they will look.

This time, because of the size of this kit - more than 3000 pieces and
US$499 - I need to do things a little differently. I will be taking orders
accompanied by a US$150 deposit, until midnight PST on Wed March 5th. At
that point I will close the list of buyers for the first run and put
together the kits which have been ordered. Once they are ready - hopefully
by about March 21st, depending on how fast the Bricklink orders get to me -
I'll ask you to pay the balance, and mail the kit off to you. If you want to
pay your deposit by check or MO instead of Paypal, and you've bought from me
before, I will accept your email telling me that the payment is in the mail
for the purpose of adding you to the list before the cutoff date.

This model is based on the smaller ships used by BC Ferries here on the
coast of British Columbia, and it made its debut (in a previous, less
detailed version) at the Trains 2002 train show in Burnaby last November.
Many visitors recognised it immediately, not just as a BC Ferry, but as "the
Bowen Island ferry" which pleased me, since that is indeed the specific
ferry I based it on. I even took a research trip on the ferry, and took 3
rolls of photos for reference!

To order, you can either use the payment button on the website (which
auto-adds $12.75 shipping, so you pay a slightly higher deposit but it will
make no difference to the final cost), or just send
$150 deposit to me using one of my Paypal accounts:

For NON-credit card (balance funded) payments, send to
kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com
For CC payments, send to kevin.wilson100@shaw.ca

Kevin
Custom building kits: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com