 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 1416
Re: WTB Pirate ship SAILS - see, it's written all big.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 03:14:21 GMT

That's amazing - gee you'd be happy to be the Captain in situations like that -
"OK boys, pick up that anchor, chuck it over there, pull it up - then do it
another four hundred times - I'll be having a wee nap in my quarters"

And seriously pissed if you were a deck hand!

Perhaps I'll have to add a dry dock to my island fort/port.

Ben.

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  Hi,

Ben Pegler wrote:

Quick - everyone call Customer Assistance requesting 6268 sails and that'll
spark them back into production mode! ...If that fails, I'm buying some • fabric
and a tiny little roller for the black stripes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - see you in the duldrums...

  One other option, maybe:  Catalogue all of the various
  Pirates/IG/Armada sets that used sails, and go down the
  list--I've sometimes managed to get "close" parts just by
  knowing what other sets the piece appeared in (albeit in
  another colour).

  Barring that, I've got a little corps of engineers that would
  be happy to sell your Captain a set of paddlewheels and
  a boiler...else you'll have a great use for the five hundred
  oars that we've all seemed to accrue over the years.

  ObMarineHistory:  Back in the days of sail (and when oared
  galleys were already outre), there was actually a process for
  moving becalmed ships in the shallows.  It was called
  "kedging," and entailed putting out a boat or two, carrying
  a ship's anchor.  They'd go out to the extent of the chain,
  and then drop the anchor.  The ship would begin moving
  forward until the anchor hit the bottom, and then the crew
  would start hauling the anchor in, adding to its momentum.
  They'd then recall the boats and repeat the process.  I do
  remember a case where a British ship-of-the-line chased
  USS Constitution in this manner in 1813 or 1814--but as
  soon as the wind picked up, superior engineering won the
  day.  ;)

  LFB