 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 458
457  |  459
Subject:
Nightly Reboots @ BrickLink
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:21:31 GMT

The errors that some of you have gotten recently on BrickLink, such as 'not
enough storage' and the like, are due to bugs in the Active Server Pages
engine on IIS 5.0 (Microsoft's web server). Dan and I have both doing
research on the problem, and it turns out no matter how good the code is,
this problem still occurs. It tends to occur on busy ASP servers based on
the number of sessions generated, and since the traffic on BrickLink
continues to grow, it has become a bigger problem than it might have been in
the past.

The temporary solution is going to be to schedule nightly reboots of the web
server. There's no perfect time to schedule them since there are people
worldwide using the site, but the traffic is lowest between 5am - 6am EST.
This should help alleviate the problem until the next version of IIS comes
out in the Microsoft .NET Web Server later this year.

If you have any server/hosting questions, feel free to contact me directly
at eric@northcomp.com. And as always, thank you for shopping your
neighborhood BrickLink. :)

Eric Smith
Owner, Northstar Computer Systems