 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1774
Re: News Item from Fox News - Lego-Style Islamic Terrorist Figurine Sparks Outrage (Brickarms)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:39:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Scott E. Sanburn wrote:
The controversial miniature figure...is a bearded militant...

I just want to know one thing.  Where's the beard?  I mean, seriously, where's
this beard they're talking about?  It sounds like the minifig is being
identified as a Muslim terrorist on the basis that he's got a beard, but I don't
see one anywhere.  Looking at it, yeah, given _current_ sociopolitical standing
in the world, it's pretty easy to think "Islamic extremist" the instant you see
that picture, but it could just as easily be a South American rebel, a modern
Japanese ninja, or a legitimate member of a military Special Forces unit.  Heck,
considering the official LEGO policy regarding skintones, it could just as
easily be an African militant, or a member of some other racial group that has
dark brown skintones (though it's a pretty safe bet that these people are seeing
it through Simpsons-colored glasses).

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/0,4644,5876,00.html#4_0