 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1421
Re: suspended Bricklink shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 04:12:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Jeff Findley wrote:
(even though the TOS doesn't seem to address the gray area of stores
imposing "terms and conditions" on sales that aren't automatically handled by
Bricklink's sales engine).

Given the vast number of sellers who do just that (especially in terms of
S&H/insurance surcharges), without getting into trouble over it, I'm guessing
from that that it's okay to say "If you buy X, you must also buy Y", but that
it's not okay to say, "You can't buy this particular copy of X".  Anything
that's listed in your store must needs be purchasable at any given moment
(though I've run into one or two stores where quantity minimums had been applied
to parts that didn't divide evenly, so the last couple parts couldn't be added
to your cart at all).

I wonder if it would be acceptable to sell half-kits with a 2-unit minimum
(instead of buying full kits, you buy two half-kits at a time).  This would
allow the seller to list an odd quantity, leaving that last half-kit physically
unpurchasable.  The downside to it is that you'd have to list the half-kit with
half the cost, so it'd be more confusing for buyers to figure out what they were
going to be paying in the end, and you'll almost assuredly get at least one
customer who, no matter how clearly you word the description, complains that
they order two kits and only got one.