 Marketplace / Auctions / 8438
Re: Recent activities on Ebay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:04:47 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Derek Kwong writes:
Does anyone have any opinion or views as to why recent transactions on Ebay
has kind of quietened down? in terms of what's available, the volume and
more importantly prices which are weakening.

I'm hardly a market analyst but I'd say the same observations can be made
about much more than just the LEGO category on ebay.  Disney collectibles
began this trend, perhaps market saturation is an appropriate term, a year
and more ago.  It seems everywhere you go there is a relatively huge
proportion of auctions ending without a bid.  Everyone and their uncle is
listing and people can shop around a lot more, even bide their time on a
rarer item knowing it will just about inevitably show up again and maybe be
a better deal, in better condition, etc.

It seems inevitable that sites like Brickbay are taking their toll too.
Imagine how much money we have collectively spent on Brickbay in the last
year and how much of that would have gone into ebay purchases without the
advent of Brickbay.  Look at ebay's new push to open ebaystores.  Ebay has
got to be aware of sites like Brickbay and this seems to be their answer.
(Personally, I don't care for ebay going in this direction.  I think they're
trying to get their fingers in too many pieces of pie.)

John

  Re: Recent activities on Ebay

(...) It's been noted in financial sources that the number of sellers (and the number of professional resellers that scour garage sales) on eBay has gone up, and prices have gone down. Basic market forces - buyers have a better selection and can be (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.market.auction)