 Marketplace / Auctions / 7425
Re: eBay keyword spamming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:14:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Filz writes:
Had anyone had any success in reporting keyword spamming on eBay? I was
just browsing auctions and noticed that this fellow's auctions:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=kenneylee@ap. • net

almost all use a long list of usually innapropriate keywords, for
example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=526639334
LEGO 5 YELLOW UNKNOWN(TRAIN&VEHICLE IDEAS)PHO

LEGO,5 YELLOW UNKNOWN ITEMS(TRAIN CARGO,SPECIAL TRAIN CAR BUILDING
PARTS ,PLANE,SPACE,BOATS,& VEHICLE IDEAS)CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!(I
am putting lots and lots of things(building and train,plane,space,
& vehicle ideas...LET YOUR IMAGINATION WORK OVERTIME) on ebay this
week and next, so bookmark my ebay site(kenneylee@ap.net) and
check it....

This guy has over 100 auctions, and certainly only a handful have train
parts.

With this kind of abuse, it's no wonder eBay has had problems with
searches overwhelming the system.

Judging by his canned auction descriptions, he's not too savvy. So it's quite
possible that these parts came from trains and other LEGO sets, got mixed up,
and for all he knows - it's as likely as not that they're train parts...
I would fault EBAY for letting people put anything they want in a description
more than this guy.

-Jon's 2 cents