 Marketplace / Auctions / 6382
Re: How to snipe on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:12:00 GMT

In article <FyB0K4.Ery@lugnet.com>, rob.doucette@york.com (Rob Doucette)
wrote:

FUT: market.theory

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20000725/tc/how_to_snipe_on_ebay_1.html

Tuesday July 25 09:15 PM EDT
How to snipe on eBay

By David Coursey, ZDNet News

Inside tips from successful eBay snipers.

As a public service, I will now reveal my secret plan never to get
sucker-punched on eBay again.

I feel some duty to share this information because it comes from the
hundreds of messages I've received about my two previous eBay columns --
many from snipers who, while admitting the situation sucks, were happy
share what they have learned.

"eBay forced me to become a sniper," was the tone of many of these
e-mails.
They didn't like having to become "pros" in the eBay "game" but said
it's
necessary if you want to "win." This seems to make eBay the hot action
sport
for couch potatoes.

How did we live before the Internet made all this possible?

Step by step

I will now share the mainstream of the advice I have received. Follow
this
advice and you will win more auctions and pay fairer prices. The
downside is
you really must be online when the auction ends. And the more people
who do
this, the less effective these tactics become.

Note: This is the point in the column when a really evil columnist would
attempt to regain the upper hand by telling you he never really got
beat by
the snipers in the first place and did this all either to a) learn
sniping technique, or b) just stir the readers. But I, as several of you
pointed out, am not that cunning.

Here goes:

1. Never put in an early proxy! Don't be a fool, like I was, and enter a
proxy bid early in the battle. The conventional wisdom is early proxying
only results in higher prices.

2. Know what an item is worth. Set a maximum for yourself. Research
previous
auctions and other sources of information to determine what is a fair
price.
Then decide what is the top dollar you'll pay.

3. Never put in an early proxy for this amount. Why? Because if you bid
on
multiple items you certainly won't get all of them -- but if you do,
your
potential exposure could be bigger than your pocketbook. This works
against
setting a few $1,000 proxies on $10 items just to make sure you win.
Not to
mention what happens if someone (like the seller) catches wind of this
and
drives you up just to raise the price.

4. Watch the item. Keep an eye on the items that interest you, but never
bid. Don't do anything that might create interest in the item. Let the
early-bidding stooges be asleep when you win the auction.

5. You must be there at the end. I am convinced that sniping is the
only way
to win in the environment eBay has created. Not sniping makes you a
sucker.

I think this is bad for eBay, but that's eBay's problem. It also means
you
need a good alarm clock and calendar to keep track of where to be and
when
to make those final winning bids. I am vaguely aware of software that
will
automate this process, but my correspondents didn't consider it nearly
as
effective as doing the work yourself, in person, at closing. This might
involve a last-second proxy.

6. Delayed closings might be a good thing. There are some auctions that
automatically delay the closing until 10 minutes have passed without a
new
high bid.

My new sniper friends were divided on this. Most didn't seem to like the
last-minute frenzy before the close, which added a large amount of
randomness to the outcome. Automatically delaying closes would make the
process a little more civil, most said. This is probably a good idea,
based
on the arguments I've seen.

I have not spent any time as a sniper, so I am merely reporting what I
have
been told. I do not know, for example, how eBay's system response time
and
other factors might affect the effectiveness of a last-second proxy vs.
last-second fixed bid.

7. eBay might consider sealed-bid auctions. Sealed bids would end all
this
sniping stuff and might be a way to level the playing field. Or maybe
not.
It is probably worth a try. It would encourage people to bid at their
leisure, which sniping kills.

I appreciate all the comments I have received. Especially the friendly
ones -- whether you agreed with me or not. I did not appreciate the ones
telling me that everything was fine because people who proxy their
highest
bid imaginable don't lose so often. But they, as I have learned, are
also
suckers and force up prices unnecessarily by taking on all comers with a
"now beat this" response from the proxy.

Like I said, I am not terribly interested in having to be online at
specific
moments to play the auction game. It's like one reader asked me: "Isn't
this
what the Internet was supposed to avoid?"

Another thing to remember when selling is to ensure people the other side
of the pond will be awake, or when buying not awake as the case may be !

Michael Pratt