 Marketplace / Auctions / 5887
Re: MIB means whatever the seller wants on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 15:46:22 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:
For example, this airport shuttle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=334971859

which seems a nice lot and is currently at a good price. It's "used in good
condition", NOT MIB!

I have no connection with this seller.

Some sellers think that if they have the box, it makes the set MIB or
Mint-In-Box.  MIB can only mean that the box has never been opened.  NIB to me
means that the box has been opened but the pieces have never been removed from
the bags.

In general, the word MINT is far, far overused.  I have seen the word MINT used
to describe used Lego more times than I care to remember and it makes my blood
boil.  MINT can only mean that the pieces have never been used at all--not even
to assemble the set one time.
For part sales, MINT means that they have only been handled enough to sort by
lot.  Fortunately, bulk piece sellers do not overuse the word MINT--the vast
majority simply describe the pieces as NEW or NEW/NEVER USED.

Some sellers may simply not understand the differences between the grading
terms.  This may be due to ignorance, language barriers, or other reasons.
Other sellers may know what the terms means but decide to represent their goods
as better than they actually are.  This is where photographs tell a better
story.

Not everyone can agree on the grading terms and their definitions--not even
here on Lugnet.  But for serious Lego sellers, the terms MINT and MIB should be
well understood before using them.

BTW, I do not have any connections with the seller referenced
above--fortunately.

__Kevin Salm__