 Marketplace / Auctions / 5872
Re: Too many auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 15:19:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
I cant critise folks for holding auctions, I do it myself, but just as an
observation there are now 2500 items of lego for auction on ebay USA. Thats 50
pages to browse. There are over 150 items closing tonight alone.

Hard to keep track. And thats just ebay, and just USA.

As more and more sets come up for sale it must depress prices I guess. Some
things certainly dont seem to be realising what they did last year. Though
perhaps the genuinely rare ones continue to improve in value as awareness
increases.

regards
lawrence

From a buyers perspective (that's where I stand 99% of the time) I am glad that
there is a glut of Lego on the auction market.  It means that with a bit of
patience and controlled bidding, I can get what I want relatively cheaply.  In
this regard, last year was an excellent year for bidders, now is even better.
Lego on Ebay is definitely a buyers market.

A few examples of my careful bidding include 2 copies of 6067 Guarded Inn used
(without the flag) for under 100 US Dollars, 2 copies of 1793 Space Station
Zenon used for under $75, a used 6416 for less than $20, and a fine used
Metroliner from overseas for less than $150.

Prices for complete sets can sometimes go pretty high, some sets (set 6445
Emergency Evac, for example) do not sell at all even at opening bid price.

Auctions for parts have been very good to me in the last few years with higher
prices only for windows and doors--too much competition with Frank Filz and
Karl Vasily, I guess.  BTW, I try not to ever bid against anyone I know from
Lugnet, but with cryptic Ebay screen names, it is difficult sometimes to know
who the other bidders are.

Overall, I like the situation at Ebay in terms of Lego sales.  The dollar can
buy a lot of Lego.

__Kevin Salm__