 Marketplace / Auctions / 4707
4706  |  4708
Subject:
One thing I will say for eBay...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 18:30:15 GMT

It sure has changed the meaning of "rare".  I don't like their seller-oriented
attitude, I despise fixed-end-time auctions in principle, but wow, are rare
sets not rare anymore.

Even as recently as a year ago, someone who tracked down 4(!) 6023 Maiden's
Carts would be dancing in glee, proclaiming a FOTW... Today, eBay has 4 of
them.  A couple months ago, there was a run on 1906 Majisto's Tower(1) -
something like 6 of them in a two week period.

I've seen no less than 10 Guarded Inns in the last year, and at least 3 "MISB"
Yellow Castles.  I've completely lost track of the Galaxy Explorers,
Metroliners, King's Castles and so forth that have been through eBay's doors.

I don't like the way they do business, but I've got to tip my hat to them for
redefining "rare".

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: The only set (AFAIK) with medium round-topped castle doors.