 Marketplace / Auctions / 3848
Re: Is something wrong with eBay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:00:19 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 16:08:14 GMT, "Tony Kilaras" <kilaras@speedus.com>
wrote:

Paul Davidson wrote in message ...
The main Lego page at eBay is only listing auctions that ended last month.
What's going on?  Not Y2K-compliant?

There's lots wrong with ebay:
1) Ridiculous prices, often bordering on the absurd.

Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't.  My first 6769 just went for
$130 + shipping.  Considering what I paid for it on clearance last
year, that strikes me as absurd.  Considering they are hard or
impossible to find now locally (have no idea about S@H) I'd say $130
for a $90-$100 retail set for someone who _really_ wants one, like the
person who just bought mine, isn't that bad a price.

The one thing I like about how the first one ended was there was no
sniping.  The high bid came in about 3-4 hours before the end of the
auction and stayed that way.  And the person who bought it did so
because she wanted it for a late Christmas present for her son.  I'm
going to wrap it inside the box I send to her to make it a little more
special for her and her son.

The second one is going for $110 right now and I'll be happy if that's
all it goes for, but I won't be unhappy if it goes higher.  Either
way, I've made my money back many times over.

2) Bias towards sellers.

I know why I belive this is true to a point - what about you?

3) Inaccurate descriptions of items for with no accompanying punishment.

Yup.  But eBay has proven it won't get involved in even ridiculous
cases of near-fraud.  And their stupid 80 character feedback line
makes it almost impossible to tag someone for being dishonest and give
a full explanation.

All in all, for selling sets, if you want to maximize the money you'll
make, you can't beat eBay.  I'll probably owe about $8 or so to eBay
for the 2 6769's I'm auctioning there.  I could have run them at other
places (either of mine or Yahoo!) for free, but I guarantee you I
wouldn't have made $130 and $110 for them.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/