 Marketplace / Auctions / 194
  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) Well, I really thought Larry was going to win this one. $280 is a large bid and the winning party had to bid over $405 to get this one. Even though I'm sure Larry would have wanted this lot at $411 (it sold for $410), when the amounts are this (...) (26 years ago, 27-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Every time I participate in an eBay auction and get sniped, I vow not to do it ever again. But sooner or later, some really choice lot comes along, and I backslide, only to get sniped again. (URL) had a 280 bid for days... with 405 as my ceiling. 41 (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Well I am glad i am not alone in this but this is the way E-bay is setup, I found myself guilty of it also. It really seems that this is the only way to win a bid sometimes. And I see your point if you were willing to pay 405.00 you could spend 5.50 (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) All I can suggest is to realize that this is the way eBay works, and if you want to win a set, the best way is to snipe. It's snipe or be sniped when the item is highly sought after. I've found that it's often best to post a low bid early and (...) (26 years ago, 28-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) want (...) Rob, no offense but I really don't want to hear about how eBay works. I know how it works. I know they can run their auctions any way they want, and I know that if I want to win at all costs, I have to be willing to rearrange my (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Aaahhhhh, shutup and deal with it. <duck> Seriously, you and I BOTH know if you truly want something on EBay, you WILL have to rearrange your life around the end time. I have had to wake up at 3am to make sure I got something I wanted. Sucks, but I (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) Ditto, although I have taken to bidding my maximum and then never looking again. I have so many other things in my life that I can worry about and spend time on - why waste time on a system that rewards losers with no life? (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) Don't know if it will help offset the pain of loosing such a choice lot, but I think eBay needs (at least an option of) going/sold aucions with a minimum of x time (1 day?) between the high bid submission and winning the item. It may draw some (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Larry Pieniazek wrote: <snip> (...) Well, there are two reasons I use eBay to sell Lego: 1) When I'm not sure what something is worth and want to let the market determine value. 2) When I want to sell and item quickly. In this case, I wasn't sure (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Mike Stanley wrote: <snip> (...) I think this is a good way to bid on eBay - you get lucky sometimes. The person who won my auction is not a loser without a life, though. He is a respectable Lego collector who had good luck and skill in bidding. -- (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@NOSPAM.ctp.com> wrote in article <F1K0HE.3KD@lugnet.com>... (...) do it (...) I (...) end I (...) gets (...) I removed EBay from my list of Favorite sites right before I knew was going to be away from the net for a few days. (...) (26 years ago, 29-Oct-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) Even if the minimum time was 2-3 hours, it would make a big difference. That would deal with most of the arguments about people getting swooped minutes before the auction closes, and being physically unable to find out they had lost the bid (...) (26 years ago, 2-Nov-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Sunday night Ebay was having technical difficulties. They had to reboot their database server, so there was no access to the auctions for about 35 minutes. Snipers the world over must have been cursing at their computers. Julie (26 years ago, 2-Nov-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

(...) I can't begin to tell you how that makes me feel. Well, maybe I can: :) Steve (26 years ago, 3-Nov-98, to lugnet.market.auction)

  Re: Why do I beat my head against the wall?

Thomas Main wrote: <SNIP> Guess what I got in the mail(1) sometime this week? Inside a carefully packed box was the following tableaux. Seated in front of a computer (2) is a minifig(3). He's hefting a pickax and is about to smash the computer. (...) (26 years ago, 8-Nov-98, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)