 Marketplace / Auctions / 1504
Re: [URGENT] message to SeriousCollector staff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:01:28 GMT

Larry,

Thanks for the advice - we didn't catch the relative pathing issue until too
late :-(

Here's the update, though...

UPDATE: The domain name registration authority informed us that due to recent
changes in the administrative control of internet domain names, there was an
error with the record for SeriousCollector.com, among others. Previously,
changes to a record took place in a matter of minutes. This change requires
deletion of the old record and insertion of the new record into the
registration database. The set to be processed last Friday (including ours)
were deleted Friday at 7:00 EDT, but will not be re-inserted until 7:00 EDT
today: Monday, May 3rd. The site should be universally accessible by Tuesday
morning, and commerce will resume at 12:00 noon PDT. Auction lots will be reset
to adjust for the outage. Our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.
     -The Serious Collector

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Apologies for waste of bandwidth but I don't know how else to get the
message through (posted to RTL and to lugnet.market.auction)

Petra Fenzl, customer services/membership sent a message out that there
is a domain name resolution problem, and gave alternates. If you're a
member, you got it so I won't reproduce it here.

I tried, and failed, because of the domain problem, to send the
following note... if any SeriousCollector staff is reading this, think
about it:

Petra, thanks for your suggestion but it's not going to cut it, because
most
pages that you would start from have the full path embedded in their
URLs.
Hence, users can't use any of the functionality (for example, I can't
log in
because the action=submit clause has a full path URL instead of
relative, so
it fails)

You might want to consider regenerating all the pages (if you didn't do
them
by hand) using relative pathing, or pathed to one of the domains that is
known to be working.

If you're not already using content generation technology and have been
doing it by hand, check out "chainsaw" which is a macro preprocessor for
html, or other similar technology.

( check it out here, it's by fellow CTPer Bill Birch:
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~birchb/chainsaw.htm )

(if you're not clear what I'm getting on about, pass this note on to
Bev)

Larry Pieniazek

-- end

ALSO.. please consider freezing the hammers on auctions about to close,
these auctions should NOT advance from G2 to sold while communication
problems exist
FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.