 Marketplace / Auctions / 1449
eBay Sniping: Interesting View
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:12:02 GMT

Here's a quote from The eBay Underground FAQ,
<http://www.frii.com/~afs/ebay/>, following a section detailing the proper
methods for successfully sniping on eBay:

In Defense of This Section

I've gotten some feedback from eBay regulars who say that sniping isn't
really the nicest or the best way to bid, and may even hurt the sellers.
Well, no kidding!   I hate sniping!  The reason I've described how and why to
do it in such excruciating detail is so that everyone will know how to do it,
start doing it, and thus make eBay's auctions more and more rigged and unfair
until the uproar and dissatisfaction of buyers and sellers convince eBay's
management to make the chances necessary so that sniping is no longer an
effective way of bidding!  But until that happens, sniping is the way of
placing bids and winning auctions on eBay, so do it and feel good about it
because not only is it legal, but everyone else is doing it, too!  Thanks
for your comments, everyone -- I agree with you 110%.

I don't necessarily agree with him, but it is a decent rationalization to
go out and do some snipe-hunting.

BTW, the eBay Underground FAQ is good to read.  No earth-shattering
secrets, but it does cover all the eBay-etiquette basics for both buyers
and sellers.

Steve