 Marketplace / Appraisal / 77
Re: looking for large spoked wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:17:03 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Mr L F Braun wrote:

Paul Sinasohn wrote:

I would pay $3 for each red, $5 for each white...and that is probably way on
the low side. I want more of them as well.

XFUT -> .market.appraisal

I had a pair until recently, slightly worn and used--I ended up including them
in a trade for other hard-to-find pieces (6x5x2 inverse low slope hulls,
anyone?), but before that I had been offered $20 for my one pair of the red
(including 3 tyres and one black axle brick).

best

Lindsay

Yes, these go for about $15-20 a pair in red.

The white ones.... I don't really know, but I would venture to guess about $25 a
pair or more.  White are much scarcer than red.  I believe red spoked wheels were
also available as individual wheels (in Europe only).

What makes these spoked wheels real popular is that the 1975-75 model builders
sets that had them (several of the #390-#398 sets are hot items today).  These
always sell for over $100 on EBAY.  (I have seen a #396 (Thatcher Perkins) sell
for $350 MIB, and a #398 (USS Constellation) sold for $1000 in EBAY.

Here are the 1975-76 model builders kits with spoked wheels.

#390 (1913 Cadillac) ----------  5 red spoked wheels
#391 (1926 Renault)  ----------  6 white spoked wheels
#395 (1909 Rolls Royce)-------  6 white spoked wheels
#396 (1863 Thatcher Perkins)--  6 red spoked wheels

Note:  there are other model builder kits, such as #392 (Formula 1 Racer), #393
(Norton Motorcycle), #394 (Harley Davidson Motorcycle), and #398 (USS
Constellation Sailing Ship).

In THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK, it states that these model builder kits didn't sell
well when they were introduced.  But today they are highly sought after.

Gary Istok