 Marketplace / Appraisal / 664
Re: Question on rare sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 04:37:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Anthony DeShields wrote:
What are some of the rarest sets that Lego has produced?

     My guess is that the older the set is, the lower the production run was
compared to what it could have been today.  Exceptions to this include long-term
basic sets like the blue tub.  Then there are limited promo sets that are only
offered in a single region of the world (Japan seems to get a lot released
through Kabaya).  Even rarer than that are the brickbuilt Toy Fair invitations.
Finally, though not many people know about this product, there's a hugely
expensive ($30K, I think) corporate team-builder set, which comes complete with
a TLC employee to guide you through the team-building process.  I'm not sure
anyone has ever catalogued the pieces included in this "product", and I also
don't know if the parts are consistent from one version to the next, but it sure
has to be fun to build MOCs on the company dime.