 Marketplace / Appraisal / 627
Re: Old bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:09:55 GMT

Dan,
What you have is Lego made from Cellulose Acetate (or CA). That is a kind of
plastic that Lego used until 1963. After that, they switched to ABS still in
use today. The Pat. Pend. mark appears on both CA and ABS bricks.

The descriptions you use are classic CA. The color is lighter. It warps
easily, and is not as good for building as ABS. It is different kind of
plastic. They used several styles of logos, some of them are pictured here:

More info can be found with a search on Lugnet for Cellulose Acetate (esp.
Gary Istok's posts). There are also a few pics in my comparison gallery
(link below).

Hope that helps,
Clark

Visit my Vintage Parts pages, submissions always welcome:

Looking for a minifig, head, or torso? Try my helper:
http://home.att.net/~clarkcorner/VisualMiniHelper.html

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Dan Thompson writes:
-snip- I looked
through it and found some older bricks.  I was wondering if anyone could let
me know how old they were and about what they would be worth. Description -
odd colored (red) with different LEGO lettering on top, made from a
different type of plastic, good to very good condition with little
scratch/scuffing and inside where numbers usually are, it reads "patent
pending".  Any help would be very much appreciated.  -Dan Thompson