 Marketplace / Appraisal / 41
Re: What is a 8479 Barcode Scanner Unit Worth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:46:27 GMT

I sold a set on ebay for about $160...about what it cost retail.  I think that
is a little high for the set.  It does have a motor and 2 touch sensors, flex
cables and a lot of gears, including the clutch gear.  It also has quite a few
beams and green axles(other than the white in the space shuttle, I think this
is the only set with non-black axles?)  I purchased the set for $99 when S@H
had a sale on it and I think that was a GREAT deal.  I would say the set is
worth more than that...so maybe $130 or so is a good price.

I really loved this set.  As I was building the truck(lorry) I was amazed at
the complexity of the gears and how creatively the set was built.  I don't know
if that should factor in to the market value but if you like a great technical
technic set, I think this set has some added value for that.

The Barcode Scanner itself is interesting, and may have some good uses in
certain applications.  I've seen a few good uses of it but I personnally have
not found a use for it.  I guess it could be used along with an RCX to give an
added motor output and touch sensor to a design.  Also, the special gear that
comes with the set allows the sound effects to speed up or slow down with the
speed of the gear, which might be a fun addition to a design.

Michael