 Marketplace / Appraisal / 287
Re: Insuring LEGO collections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 02:15:51 GMT

"SRC" <SteveRC@StarTrekMail.com> wrote in message
news:G0KyKo.ALs@lugnet.com...
In insuring my contents at my new place, I described to the agent
how many of the sets/pieces I have can't be replaced just by going
to TRU with $5,000.  Yes it would get me about the same AMOUNT
of LEGO, but to replace the actual sets and pieces would take at least
five times as much - if even be possible at all.  The insurance company
won't put $25,000 value on my collection without an appraisal.
I explained that the most qualified person to appraise my collection
is me, (since I know it's contents the best) followed by my friends
in NALug, but the appraisal must of course be done by someone who
is a neutral third party.  Has anyone found a good way around this?

NALug only - The insurance company says someone on Whyte Ave. does
LEGO appraisals.  Any idea who or what store they could be referring to?

SRC

When I discussed this very topic with my insureance agent about a year ago
she said that any documentation that I could obtain to help justify the
value of an item would be of great assistance to them in assigning a value
to my collection.  I asked if print outs of eBay auction closing prices
would be sufficient and she indicated that they would be.  She also
suggested taking pictures and keeping an inventory.

Collecting a set of auction closings for all of the sets I have has been on
my perpetual "to-do" list (fixin-to-do-list for those of you who speak
southern [1]).  I really need to get on it as my collection has grown quite
a bit since I last spoke to her about it.  She also indicated that my home
owners policy would cover my collection as well.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

[1] Fixin is a southern expression - I'm fixin to paint the house.  I'm
fixin to mow the lawn.  After living in the south for 12 years I have a
handle on what fixin really means.  When someone tells you they are fixin to
do something it means that they acknowledge that what you want them to do is
something worth doing, something they should do, something they will do
eventually, but probably not on a time schedule you are thrilled with.