 Local / United States / Virginia / Arlington / 7
Re: Howdy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 01:11:45 GMT

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I predict that the 8480 Space Shuttle
will be recognized as one of the greatest sets of all time
once it is discontinued.

I don't know if you heard me
bitching about the .arl group instead of .nova.  I guess
Todd wouldn't understand that issue unless he lived here.
Arlington, which is a county not a city, is only a small part
of the "Northern Virginia" area.

This  brings up frustrations
with the way maps are made.  Tysons Corner (not a town or city, or even
it's own zip code, just a "reigon" of Farifax County) is the third
largest
office space market in the country (I think).  It's also the center
of the internet.  Reston (a couple zip codes in Fairfax County) has
a yuppie pre-fab downtown, tons of office space, 60,000+ (probably 75+
by now) residents and has well defined borders in County zoning, but
every time a proposition for Township or City comes up it's voted
down.  The result is that on maps people see Herndon, Vienna,
Fairfax city, Falls Church and Arlington County, but no
Reston or Tysons Corner.  I guess it's an identity crisis.

Anyway it's a done deal now so let's get on with our local discussions.

I have spotted Mindstorms and two of the expansion sets at the
Fair Oaks Zany Brainy.  I haven't seen it yet at the Zainy Brainy
in Reston yet.

(off topic) If you haven't gone down to the Taste of DC yet
Monday is the last day.  I work with the sound company that
is providing the sound and it's a blast.  I just wish I had
time to go sample some of the food.  In past years I did and
it's great.  It's on Pensylvania Avenue between 9th and 14th
streets.

KL

Will Middeler wrote:

Wow, I may be the only one here that actually lives in Arlington. (The part
I live in actually shares a Zip code with Roslyn, but close enough).

It is sort of neat to see that some of the people from R.T.L. are so
nearby.

Greetings to Kevin Loch, whom I have had the pleasure to meet, and to whom
I think we all owe thanks for his great server at www.kl.net.

(KEVIN -- I loved assembling the shuttle I bought from you, and you were
right, it took me over 10 hours to complete)

Will Middelaer

Partially De-Lurked RTL'er