 Local / United States / Virginia / 93
Re: Lego Day at the Library - A Smashing Success!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.ric, lugnet.org.us.richlug, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 23:53:23 GMT

RichLUG's "LEGO Day at the Library" was a big success for us and the
Tuchkahoe Library in Henrico County/Richmond, VA. The official count that
was being kept at the door was around 375.  From the time the library opened
at 9:30 we had folks in attendance with the largest crowds being early in
the day (10-12) and the last part the day (3-4). At those times there was
probably about 50-70 people hanging out with us at any given time.  Some
folks stayed for a long time (couple of hours) and some even visited in the
morning and came back later in the afternoon for more.

The building tables were a big hit and we appreciate the LEGO Outlet Store
at Potomac Mills (THANKS Dan) for loaning us the tub of bricks we used.
Many a kid went gaga at seeing such a huge pile of LEGO bricks sitting there
waiting for them to dive in.  Quite a few parents joined in the fun too.

During the day we ended up having 5 rounds of judging the creations that
kids had built.  With each round we gave out first, second and third place
prizes (can you guess what the prizes were?).  At the end of the day we had
a Grand Prize judging from the 5 previous first place winners and gave away
the LEGO Racers board game as the prize.

It was really interesting seeing all the different creations that the kids
(small and big) came up with during the day.  We probably saw about 50
different creations over the course of the day (some would get recycled back
into the big pile occasionally).  Building American flags was definitely a
popular theme.

Our train/town display was on the smallish side.  We had an L-shaped set up
with two big loops (approx. 8'x4' and 6'x4').  We piled a bunch of buildings
inside the loops but didn't really knock ourselves out with accessorizing.
We've got a pretty good collection of buildings (thanks primarily to Tim)
and so folks were still very impressed with what they saw - but of course
who isn't impressed by a LEGO display big or small?

Of course, there were lots of folks who were getting their first look at
LEGO trains so it was fun seeing their reactions and hearing their "oohs and
ahhs".  We had a couple of metroliners there, an extra long freight train,
and a Christmas Train.

That's about it except to say that it was both fun and gratifying to be able
to share our hobby with others and provide an event for kids that they
really enjoyed.  I had several parents thank us and talk about how much they
liked the fact that their children played with LEGO toys and the benefits
they saw in that by way of the creations they build.

So we'll definitely be doing something like this again in the future.  The
folks at the library have already said they want us back again next year for
a similar event (probably more than once).

We'll have pictures online soon - I couldn't wait though to do a little
bragging about the great time we had!

I'll shut up now.  But only for now.

Greg

In lugnet.loc.us.va, Timothy D. Freshly writes:
On Saturday, December 1, RichLUG will be hosting a "LEGO Day" at the
Tuckahoe Library.  Planned events include free building, building contests,
annimated (movie) features, and a Lego train display (along the lines of the
one shown here - http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=8226).
LEGO Day will being around 10:00 am and run until approximately 4:00/5:00
pm.  All kids, young and old, are invited!

We look forward to seeing you there!

Tim
Member, Richmond Lego Users Group