 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 122
121  |  123
Subject:
40% Off Star Wars at The Science Center in Newport, RI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:00:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I spent this past weekend in Newport, doing the tourist thang, when I stumbled
upon a really cool toy store right on the waterfront in the historic district
of Newport.  The Thames Science Center http://www.thamesscience.org/ seems to
specialize in the kind of construction toys that are carried by the similarly-
acronymed The Construction Site in Waltham, MA.

Anyway, the Thames Science Center apparently bought too much Star Wars
inventory, and is clearing it out at 40% off.  (Some of the prices seemed to
be about 10% or more higher than list price, so it's not quite as good a deal
as it sounds -- the worst example I saw was the Sith Infiltrator <set:7151>
for about $42, but they also had the Mos Espa Podrace <set:7171> for "only"
$99, which would be about $60 on sale.)

I picked up a Gungan Sub and an Extreme Creatures kit (marked down to $25 on
clearance) and got out of the store for under $60, even with the 7% sales
tax.  I would have bought more, but I didn't want to carry around all that
LEGO while I was just trying to be a tourist.  (BTW, my mini review of the
Extreme Creatures kit is that it probably wasn't even worth $25.)

TSC looks like a really cool store, complete with a hands-on play area and a
lot of great toystuffs.  If you live in that area, check it out.  A store like
that deserves a little bit of a fan base.