 Local / United States / Oregon / Portland / 15
Re: Where to buy LEGO in Portland
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.or.por, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:10:06 GMT

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mentorg.com> wrote:

I will be in Portland for a few days this week and was wondering
where the locals shop for LEGO?

The coolest toy store in Portland by the longest of shots is Finnegan's,
downtown on Yamhill between 9th & 10th. (On the MAX (light rail) tracks,
near the newly-renovated-and-worth-a-look main library, which is itself not
5-or-so blocks from the largest bookstore in the English speaking world,
Powell's: http://www.powells.com )

Don't expect a fantasyland of rare, discontinued LEGO - they've got a decent
selection of current sets with a few higher-priced older things still
knocking around - nothing of FOTW caliber here, though.

I mostly visit Finnegan's to undo the psychic damage sustained in
LEGO-hunting through the endless succession of generic big-box retailers -
Target, Wal-Mart, K Mart, TRU, Fred Meyer etc... It is so refreshing to shop
in a store that is clearly run by people who _love_ cool toys. Sure, I buy
my share of discounted LEGO from the chains, but whenever I'm paying full
price, the local independent shops get my $$ every time over TRU.

Anyway.

Hope that helps.

Scott