 Local / United States / Ohio / 643
642  |  644
Subject:
Small event at Toledo Zoo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:15:35 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On October 8 I was invited as a LEGO Ambassador to participate in a small event
at the Toledo Zoo. The Toledo Local Section of the Americal Chemistry Society
has an anual event at the Zoo, where they demonstrate and have hands-on
experiments relating to chemistry for kids. Kids and adults could shriuni
varoious plastics, make face-paint, make bouncy balls, etc. This year the theme
was "the Chemistry of Toys". I brought 1 table full of MOCs, I managed to
combine a micro-city, a large plantation house, 2 trains and track, a greenhouse
and a medieval house onto a 6 x 2.5 foot table. During the last 3 hours of the
day-long event, 2 local FLL robotics teams showed up, showing the public their
progress for this years' challlenge. I also brought some raw ABS pellets, and
explained (to the best of my knowledge), how LEGO bricks are molded. I had a
second table with loose bricks, and during the whole day many people played with
those. As an Ambassador, I plugged the adult community as much as I could, as
well as handed out business cards from COLTC out to interested adults. It was a
fun (but pretty cold) day. We had a small article appear in the local newspaper,
with 2 pictures. The only thing I forgot to take was my camera, but as soon as I
get forwarded some pictures I'll put them up. I encourage everyone if they are
interested to contact local organizations (like ACS, but there are many other
organizations htat have public appearances)to spread the adult LEGO hobby, you'd
be amazed how many display opportunities exist, and although 50x70 feet train
layouts are very impressive, a single table of creations by a single fan can be
very effective too!

Paul Janssen,

Lego Ambassador
COLTC member