 Local / United States / Ohio / 110
Re: Big Lego article Miami/Dayton Daily News
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:03:33 GMT

Believe it or not, I went to Wright State, and Don taught one of my classes!

--
  | Tiffany Vincent
  | Content Producer/Applications Engineer
  | Time Warner Cable
  | 11252 Cornell Park Rd. Ste. 310
  | Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
  | 513.469.5435

----------
From: "Paul Sinasohn" <bearitone@my-deja.com>
To: lugnet.general@lugnet.com, lugnet.loc.us.oh@lugnet.com, • lugnet.dear-lego@lugnet.com
Subject: Big Lego article Miami/Dayton Daily News
Date: Tue, Dec 14, 1999, 3:40 PM

On December 1, 1999, there was an article on page 1B about Don David donating
his large Lego project to the Boonshoft museum. Byline is Tom Hopkins, Dayton
Daily News, and location is given as Centerville. The article continues inside
the B section, there is a closeup on the front page of his carousel, and a
picture of the entire layout (with the article continuation) inside on page • 4B.

Does anyone have any contact with this Don David? I'd like to talk with him.

s/
Paul Sinasohn
bearitone@my-deja.com

Here is the text of the article (it was sent ot me by a friend who lives in
Dayton):

LEGOLAND TO BECOME A MUSEUM PIECE - Boonshoft to display man's toy theme park

A lot of things are happening in Don David's world. Archeologists are
excavating a mummy's tomb. Some kids are racing around a go-kart track,
pretending to be Richard Petty. Other kids are standing by a fishing pond,
dangling their lines into the water in hope of snagging a big one. There's a
frontier town, a space shuttle, a police station, a gas station, and a pirate
ship with a cannon that fires little plastic cannonballs.

David picks up the cannon and lets 'er fly. Across the room, his wife, Kari,
yelps. "That was a good shot -- you hit me right in the chest," she says with • a
laugh. David, the self-styled King of legos, just grins. By day, he is a
teacher and production stage manager in Wright State University's theater
department, fashioning sets for such plays as Romeo and Juliet and A Streetcar
Named Desire.

By night, he toils in his Centerville home -- heck, this isn't toil, it's play
-- fashioning imaginitive things out of molded plastic Lego blocks. He used
23,000 blocks for his make-believe theme park. The Boonshoft Museum of • Dicovery
is so impressed with David's 4-by-8-foot Legoland, the museum is planning to
put it on display next spring.

"Kids just love this stuff" Boonshoft exhibits manager Tim Eisenhut said as he
examined the Legoland in David's dining room. "I brought my little 5-year-old
over, and he just doesn't stop talking about this."

David, 45, has no children and thinks the Boonshoft display is a way for him
to make a connection with kids. "I just love the idea that thousands of
children can see it, because it turned into one adult's obsession," he said.

Very few components of the display are the original kits. "I take them apart
for their individual pieces and morph them with other kits," David said. • Moving
parts in his Legoland include a battery-powered train, a monorail, a tower
elevator and a hand-cranked merry-go-round and Ferris wheel.

As Kari hand-cranks the merry-go-round, David picks up a castle about 24 • inches
hich and 14 inches wide. "This castle has 1,500 to 1,800 pieces," he said.
"There's no kit like this anywhere. There are rooms inside that you can't even
see." As a child in upstate New York, David played with Legos and loved to
build models of ships, race cars, and airplances.

Ten years ago, he was browsing through a toy store when he spotted a Lego • train
set. Something about it brought back all his childhood memories. He bought the
train and put it under the tree.

PICTURE CAPTIONS:
First page:
Don Davis (sic) holds up a moving carousel, which is one of the many Lego
creations that he has built for his Lego city. The city, which consists of
23,000 Legos, is being donated to the Boonshoft Museum.

Page Four:
This Lego city, built by Don David, who sites in his dining room, consists of
about 23,000 Legos. He is donating the make-believe theme park to the • Boonshoft
Museum.