 Local / United States / New York / Syracuse / 181
Re: 2001 Lego avail. in Syracuse!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:16:50 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, Wayne Sardullo writes:
Thanks for the info, I was there today just looking around. I think I have had
it with spending money for a long time. I was on a rampage the last 5 months
with Lego and now I need to watch it because I have more bills.

Although I haven't been on a rampage in a L-O-N-G time,
I am intimately familiar with the "bills" problem...lol
My car insurance, rent, utilities, etc. have all risen significantly (yet
another reason to leave syr).

I'm also a
little P.O'd with Legos new sets Juniorization is an understatement, do they
even have people coming up with GOOD creations rather then something made by
monkeys?

I have similar feelings about the "new" Lego offerings over the past few
years.  I view the SW line and the new Statue of Liberty model as a step in
a positive direction.  However, much of the Lego line seems overly
simplified, ill-conceived and slapped together.  Would you believe I passed
on Royal Knights and Blacktron 2 years ago because I thought those models
were below par? Nowadays, those models look like godsends.  I hope the
negative trend reverses.  Otherwise I'll only acquire many new sets through
trades and deep clearance a year or so down the road.

After all these years I guess they are loosing it.... Oh well, glad I
stocked up.  Now all I need to do it get into the 8-wide Train group.  been
looking at it and actually agree that that scale for the train should be an 8
wide and not 6. That opens alot of new ideas for Engines, and Rolling Stock..

Standard disclaimer:  I am not a Train guy

BUT,

I agree...

I find 4 wide single occupant cars and 6 wide vehicle and structure designs
inadequate for my Castle+Sci-fi  design needs.  I imagine there are some
inherent operational width issues with train models, but to me "wider is
better".

Stay Tuned..  Once I move into my new place I will start working on them and
share with you guys...

Later,
Wayne

So, you finally moving down from the Great White North?...lol

I may be movin soon to...don't know where but probably REAL SOON...

Unfortunately, I feel a DARK AGE coming on...  I never really had a non-Lego
time per se, mostly just cycles of limited acquisition.  However, financial
+ time constraints may figure prominently in my life very shortly.

But that doesn't mean I am going to sell off my collection = )

                    John

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, John Rudy writes:
That's right John, Wayne and the rest, LOM and Studios are available
a DEWITT Toys R Us!! I just got the:

Monojet- <set:7310>
Red Planet Cruiser- <set:7311>
and Cameraman- <set:1357>

I stopped into Great Northern TRU after a holiday supply run to BJs before
Turkey Day.  I discovered the Monojet and the Red Planet cruiser being
unpacked.  They had a few of the large Studio set w/ camera.  My cash flow
was limited, so I bought the monojet.  Interesting sci-fi and physics
concept.  The model has limited play value, though.  I like the white SW
turbine and the new blue slope.  I don't like the minifig head at all (and I
actually liked most of the microphone head designs)

but, they also had:
<set:7312>
<set:7313>
<set:7314>
<set:7315>
<set:7316>

I haven't made up my mind on the Mars sets yet...I guess I'll have to look
more closely at them sometime.  I don't find the aliens appealing.  I
applaud Lego finally designing different creatures after so many "years i
Space".  However, these aliens look like cheap refits.  Basically,
shoehorning SW elements into another theme instead of designing something
new.  The LOM sets seem to integrate new colors and some cool parts... I
have never really rejected a set purchase based on the minifig alone = )

PLUS
<set:1351>
and the Temple of Gloom [1], whose # I don't have

I was quite surprised by the LOM sets.  I love them.  I bought them as a
kind of joke, just to see how dumb they are, but they remind me soo much of
Classic Space and the "good ole days" (or what I knew of them, The good
stuff, BTW, is Old Space Police, Blcktron and Ice Planet)

Maybe I'll get a couple of the Mars sets for Christmas and be pleasantly
surprised.  Your "good ole days" occurred while I was in college...lol.  I
am still kicking myself for missing Blacktron 1 and much of Pirates.

Although
Juniorized, these new sets are great models.  I might just buy them all.

Again, time will tell for me.  Maybe I'll wait til the theme is dying and
pick up the bulk of the line then.  I didn't get into Adventurers til after
the 2nd generation started dying off.  I then found myself picking up 5988s
and 5976s and being thoroughly satisfied.  Perhaps, the LOM sets will fit
into my building plans someday.

-John "Wallet's going to be empty by April" Rudy

I am more interested in the SW sets, particularly the junkyard, TIE fighter
and Imperial shuttle.

[1] One interesting note, the Temple of Gloom Set includes Johnny Thunder,
not Gail Storm as in most pictures, guess I don't have to get that one!

A little over a year ago, I didn't even have one Johnny Thunder... I have
since auctioned 75 or more and kept another couple of dozen to use as
Samurai and cowboys.  I like Johnny T's...I wouldn't mind a few more = )

                      John
                (the older one)