 Local / United States / New York / New York City / 128
Re: Let's make a LEGO shopping guide for NYC. Where are the deals?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:05:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, Paul Klenk writes:
Please tell me where specifically you find the best deals on LEGO in the NYC
area? Which stores (identify the location), which towns, etc.?

Include Manhattan, the boroughs, Long Island and parts of New Jersey quickly
accessible to NYC.

Be as specific as possible.  When we get enough good information, I'll put
together a NYC Shopping FAQ.

Paul

Do we really want to be giving this info up? :o)

AFA deals are concerned, I don't know of any place in Manhattan except
Goodwill  locations. You have the TRU's & Kmarts but, unless a clearance is
going on, they are overpriced, FAO Shwartz is a joke.

Bronx: Kmart on Boston Post road is great for clearance stuff. They have an
active aisle that I have been picking away at for over a year. Still have
20-30 Sith Infiltrator's, many Flash Speeders etc. Place is neat & clean
too, just be prepared for long lines & not being able to take the carraige
to your car. (this is an inner city Kmart).
There is a TRU & Kmart in the South Bx as well, but I have never scored lego
deals there.

there is an overpriced mom/pop store in the Bronx as well, on Westchester
Ave. It recently burned down, but is relocating or has relocated in the same
area. When they have clearance it usually results in 35-40% off regular
prices (they call it 50-60% off, but the lego is overpriced to begin with).
This store has quite a bit of older stock as well....thats one reason I like it.

Brooklyn: KB toys in Bayridge has the usual KB selection, older stuff at 1/2
price.
There is a used book store on Court Street in Cobble Hill that has early to
mid 90's stuff, a little dusty. If you go there, haggle for a few bucks off
then you can buy a beer for the subway ride.
there is a Shell Station on Atlantic Ave that had the Shell sets for decent
prices as well.

Queens: I did a job on the Queens Blvd Target last week. There is a KB on
Steinway street in Astoria that has the usual KB prices & selection.
There is a Kmart on Metropolitan Ave that I havent been to yet. There is a
Michaels or Steve's on Jamaica Ave that has overpriced older stuff.
There is a gift shop on Steinway in Long Island City that has a miniscule
selection but decent prices. (Millenium falcon was ALWAYS $79.00
there....even before it was discounted elsewhere)

Jersey: Target on River Rd in Edgewater had the target clearance (I was late
to that)

I'm sure other people can add much more to this list.

Hope it helps.

Jonathan