Subject:
Train Show Dry Run
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:33:17 GMT

Well, I'm beginning to feel the reality of the train show. A bunch of us
got together last night to set up the tables and try out our track
layouts. In attendance were Chris Suich, Mike Walsh, James Beerman, Cary
Clark, Max?, 2 kids (Chris's and Max's? I never got their names).

I think we learned that we need to assemble the tables in an order which
doesn't require fitting the last one into a a slot surrounded by three
more tables. We ran into a lot of problems with fit, and a one thing I
see as possibly being worthwhile are to sand the edges of the tables and
the tops of the legs. I think table assembly would go a little easier if
we assembled to "L"s and then attached them. Of course in the final
plan, we actually have a gap for bridges, so that may be just fine also.
We should think about making some short legs so we can have "water"
under the bridge (though I don't think we have a table for that
currently). Do we have short legs for the tables for the kids play area?

I got to puzzle out 12V wiring (stupidly I had not immediately put a
sheet of wiring instructions I had come across earlier in the day while
sorting instructions etc. in with my track). Most of it went pretty
well, but I had to puzzle out the signal tracks. One thing I didn't
quite figure out was why the train didn't always stop in the dead track,
sometimes it would coast through. I'll have to play with that some so I
can understand how it works before the show (of course Thomas should be
there also).

At one time or another we got all three train voltages running since I
had brought along my 7720 also. We had push trains represented (in the
guise of My Own Trains) though we didn't particularly run them (I did
hook one up to my 7735 though).

We did run into some problems with the tables unevenness so we need to
work on that some. It may be worth having some baseplates on hand to
give more rigidity to the track in those areas.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com