Re: bulk ordering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 01:55:54 GMT

I expect to pay LD a premium to buy just the parts I want and I don't really
have a problem with it (although I thought the red 1x4x6 doors were a bit
much at $2.00 a pop).  I didn't order any basic bricks.  About the only
color basic bricks I can see buying is either grey or green (from the
current selection).  I ordered 600 2x2 tiles today.  I can't imagine how
long it would take me to accumulate that many tiles.  I have been buying
parts from Baylit even though they are very expensive.  I get exactly what I
want with a minimum of hassle.

Buying lots of sets, parting them out, and selling the stuff I want will
probably yield me (or whom ever) a lower price per part.  But the process of
parting sets out, selling or auctioning off the unwanted stuff, packing,
shipping, trips to the post office, etc. starts to make the parts I keep
very expensive from a time perspective.  Time is not something I have an
abundance of so paying a bit more than the $0.10 per part metric we throw
about some much is okay with me.

My $0.02 - YMMV.

Mike

--

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh
http://www.nclug.net
If you notice wha

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
I did the same sort of cost-analysis and only bought things that I can't
get any other way. With discount and shipping, the black windows are .84
a pop, the blue thinwalls, 2x2 whites windows and trees are .30, and the
tiles are .07. I decided not to order red doors because they close in on
$2 each.

For basic bricks, I'm a tub man. I've bought the majority of the
elements I own for less than .05 each. But this does skew what I have
against what I want unless I come up with some fabulous trades. I'll
keep buying Lego Bulk when they have what I want and I can't get it any
other way. Lego wins again.

Cary

Tom Carstensen wrote:

I visited the new bulk ordering section for Lego Shop at Home.

What i don't get is their pricing -- it's all screwed up, not a
good deal at all:

For example, lets buy 1 of each, A. B. C. D. E. & F. of the standard
bricks they are offering -- all the same color.

This totals 300 pieces, costing $41.  This is 13-14 cents
per lego.  OK -- take 10% off if you buy 10 or more and still, thats
12 cents per brick.

At lego shop at home, take their always avilable single color
assortment.   62 pieces for $5.50.  This is 8.7 cents per brick.

On ebay i the average price bulk is $0.03 - $0.04, more for white and
gray.  For example, a typical price on a Bulk 1000 piece assortment
in red is at most $30.  White and gray sometimes goes for double,
but even then it's 6 cents per brick.  My best ebay deal was 2600
*new* black bricks for $20, less than a penny a brick.

even the roof tiles are worse deals then the roof tiles they have
always had in the S@H catalog.

What i really want is TRUE bulk discounts, for people ordering 1000's
of each brick type.

What they have there is pointless.  I'm also going to place my
S@H orders NOW because they are changing the "Shipping Included"
pricing to price + shipping.  I bet in the end it will cost you
more $$ out of the pocket.

-Tom Carstensen