 Local / United States / Michigan / Grand Rapids / 155
154  |  156
Subject:
Alpine Michigan K-Mart going out of business
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.us.mi.grr
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:53:08 GMT

LEGO (and all other toys) are 50% off at the Alpine, Michigan K-Mart.  Or
they were, as of Friday.

I stopped by the K-Mart on Alpine (north of US-131) on Friday.  This is one
of the stores that K-Mart is closing down.

The best description I can think of is 'take one toy store and stir
vigorously'.  Between 1/3 and 1/2 of the store was filled with toys, with
absolutely no order or sorting.  A lot of smaller items (blister paks, etc)
are jumbled in cardboard boxes, without rhyme or reason.

It looks suspiciously like K-Mart is using this GOB as a way to clear all
the leftovers from last year.

I went through all the aisles, found a variety of LEGO.  A lot of Amazon
Adventurers, Rock Raiders, Space Port, Ninja, some Star Wars, and various
other stuff.  Pretty much nothing from this year -- no Soccer, Knights
Kingdom, Arctic, or Dinosaur Adventurers.  The only Technic were a few of
the Micro-Technic hydrofoils and a couple of boxes of a TechPlay set from
'96.

Everything is either "half off original price, or lowest marked price --
whichever is lower".

The best deal is the Freestyle Bonus Value Pack.  800 pieces for $12.00.  I
believe it was a K-Mart exclusive -- 6 boxed 'sets' plus a raised
baseplate[1], all on one shrink-wrapped base.  They had two palettes of
that set.

I did not take the time to rummage through all the cardboard boxes filled
with toys, but I did help someone pick up some stuff after they knocked
over a box that was protruding into the aisle.  Along with the junk toys, I
found some DUPLO Eggs in the spilled goods! :)

Sets I specifically remember coming across:

Droid Starfighter
Mos Espa Pod Race
Gungan Sub
Ninja Emperer's Stronghold
Power Pitstop
5976 Adventurers River Expedition
5986 Adventurers Amazon Ancient Ruins
5988 Pharoahs Forbidden Ruins
5978 Sphynx Secret Surprise
5958 Mummy's Tomb
6454 Spaceport Countdown Corner
6456 Spaceport Mission Control
4990 Rock Raiders HQ
4940 Rock Raiders Granite Grinder
4980 Tunnel Transport

--
Steve
1) The baseplate like the one in Poolside Paradise.