 Local / United States / Massachusetts / 82
81  |  83
Subject:
Sale at LearningSmith
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:59:05 GMT

I'm not sure whether this is a Local thing or a Robotics thing.

I was in LearningSmith at the Emerald Square Mall yesterday, and they were in
the midst of a 20% off everything sale, including Mindstorms.  I asked them
how long the promotion would last, and they told me it was originally supposed
to be a one-day sale but had not yet been terminated by their corporate office.

I greedily added yet another RIS (still version 1.0) and also a Robotics
Discovery System to my collection.  My initial (very very preliminary)
reaction is that $160 for an RIS is a much better deal than $120 for the RDS.
I would draw the same conclusion at $200 vs. $150 list pricing.  The RIS has
more than twice as many Lego pieces.  The Scout looks like it will be good for
quickly creating simpler projects, or for younger children, but it will have
limited usefulness until somebody figures out how to download programs to it,
methinks.