 Local / United States / California / San Francisco / San Jose / 20
19  |  21
Subject:
More SF Bay Area LEGO club ideas (need feedback)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.oak
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:14:54 GMT

  Hi folks,

  If you might be interested in joining a LEGO Club in the S.F.
Bay Area, please continue reading, and then *REPLY* with answers
to the questions below. :-)  And, if you're not interested, you
can still read it if you like. ;-)

Russel's Posting
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf:69

  Late last year, at the R.T.L. get-together we had for the LEGO
Truck Show Tour, we had about 20 serious builders, and about 10
non-LEGO partners and children. A few of the serious folks thought
we should try to organize regular get-togethers in the Bay Area.
A few others wanted to start clubs around certain LEGO themes.
(I was looking to start a LEGO Train Club, similar to the PNLTC.)

  As I remembered these discussions, we didn't think that we
would have enough folks to spawn a bunch of small, specific clubs.
So, the general thought was that we should try to have a basic
LEGO club, with Special Interest Groups based on LEGO themes.

  Russell Clark conducted a small poll, to try to see which of
the themes are favorites among our potential membership, I think
he sent that to BA-LEGO (reflected to the LUGNET.ca.sf newsgroup).

  I've been working on the Internet Domain idea, and working to
get some webspace set up for the club on the jeffk.com server.
(We could host the club domain there.) I'm also willing to pay
the money for the domain name up front, and see if we can recover
that cost from dues over the next couple of years.

  Russell and I have talked about the club details and options for
a few months, so we think we've narrowed the choices a bit. But
now we are looking from some feedback from prospective members.

  DOMAIN NAME: we think that shorter is better, and we think we
    should be a LEGO Users Group (linked into LUGNET). Thoughts?
    "balug.org" is already taken by the Bay Area LINUX Users Group.
    "baylug.org" is still available.
    "sfbaylug.org" is available, is more distinct, but is longer.
    If there are no objections to "baylug.org", I'll try to
       register it later in March.

  MISSION: we should probably have some stated purpose for
    organizing. How about "to hold regular get-togethers,
    and share LEGO ideas"? The PNLTC group has good Mission
    and Prospectus pages for reference. What else should we
    consider for the group?

  OFFICERS: do we want/need them? appointed or elected? maybe a
    board? We probably need a treasurer, to collect dues, and
    pay back bills.
    What expenses should the dues pay for? (Domain name? Web
    hosting? Postal costs for newsletters? Software cost for
    online newsletter?)
    Does anyone want to volunteer as a nominee for any office?
    Do you have strong feelings whether we should, or shouldn't,
    have an official leadership (officers and/or board of
    directors)?

  WEBSITE: we can get a website, but we should have a webmaster
    with some experience, and perhaps with some Graphic Artists
    friends. ;-)
    Does anyone think they want to be involved in the design of a
    club website (helping make design suggestions/decisions)?
    We can set up directories for members who don't have their own
    website now, and we can point to members existing websites.
    We can also set up mail forwarding, for members who want it.
    (e.g. mail to "zonker@baylug.org" would automatically forward
    to my regular email account.) Who might be interested in this?
    Do we want to make a "Faces of BayLUG" page, with images of
    members faces, shown with names and email links? links to
    their LEGO pages?
    Is LUGNET.ca.sf, and the BA-LEGO list enough, or should we set
    up a mailing list on baylug.org?

  SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS: I'm happy to head up the Train theme,
    but is there anyone else who would want this post? :-)
    Town seems high on the list as well. Volunteers to head this
    one? What other themes would *you* be willing to head up?

  GET-TOGETHERS: I had hoped to have a Train get-together in
    December, but found that the holidays make it hard to find
    meeting rooms that can be scheduled for a group of 20-40.
    When should we have meetings? We have suggested 4 meetings
    per year, but what months would be good, or bad, for you?
    (holidays? vacations?)
    We also thought that the meeting places should rotate around
    theS.F. Bay Area, so that it's not always 'close' for the
    same folks all the time.
    We thought that the meetings should have a "main theme" (Town,
    Train, Space, Technic, etc.) as well as a show & tell session,
    and/or a trading/selling session.
    Gary Louie had suggested the train session should be a 2-day
    affair, the first to set up tables and build the layout and
    take pictures, with the second day for running the trains,
    and all of the rest.
    What do you think a Get-Tegether should be like? What would be
    interesting enough to get you to attend?

  If you finally got to the bottom of this long email, I want to
say "thanks for your patience". I hope you'll take a few more
minutes to send me a response, and share your thoughts with me,
and maybe the group.

    Regards,

          -Z-     http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego

http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego/  my main page
http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego/ZFSOne.html  the Firehouse
http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego/ZRondDom.html  the Round House
http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego/ZTrajnoj.html  my trains page
http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego/ZSignal.html  LED signal circuit
http://jeffk.com/~zonker/lego/tables/building.html  table plans
        David K. Z. Harris    frenezulo@esperanto.org
"It's a good start, but I'm always looking for a few more LEGOs"