Subject:
april fool stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 03:19:13 GMT

this was passed on to me on 4/1 because my co-worker know I do lego
stuff. not sure how many people on this list seen it already...

April Fools day aviation news..

NASA CONTRACTS WITH DANISH COMPANY FOR FUTURE PLANETARY PROBES...
Faced with rampant criticism after the loss of its Mars Climate Observer
and Mars Polar Lander, NASA has been forced to look for a foreign
partner to help turn things around.  The agency has chosen the LEGO
Company of Billund, Denmark, as the prime contractor for the next series
of interplanetary vehicles.  NASA Administrator Dan Goldin was very
optimistic about the ability of the LEGO Company to perfect the "faster,
better, cheaper" approach to space exploration he has been striving for
since the beginning of his tenure.  "I initially knew very little about
this company," admitted Goldin, "but when I saw their impressive
portfolio of infinitely reconfigurable spacecraft, together with LEGO's
proven track record in intergalactic travels, it seemed like a perfect
match."

...WITH BACKUP SPACECRAFT AVAILABLE IN A MATTER OF DAYS
"The ability to rapidly assemble spacecraft from radiation-hardened LEGO
bricks will give NASA the kind of quick turnaround it needs when one of
its space missions meets an untimely end," said LEGO spokesman Helmut
Brick.  "LEGO pieces are light, and come in a variety of pleasing colors
as a bonus."  Brick added, "NASA is getting our manufacturing services
quite cheap.  We are only asking for exclusive rights to any deposits of
colored plastic that might be discovered by future spacecraft."