Re: NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:23:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mark Benz writes:
Hi Mike,

I think your approach to buy and install a 1-2 ft Plexiglas wall, like a
sneeze guard, is the best. Then you can run the layout all the way to the
edge. I can help with this if needed. There is a decent TAP plastics in
Fremont. How would you attach it to the front?  With it, we could have one
or two "cut-away" buildings at the edge that visitors could look into, very
cool.

I might try some cut-away buildings on the left and right edges of the town,
but the middle section won't allow them very easily, as the track is right
next to the edge.

How high is the table top? 4' seems to be the most common height. Do we have
to bring our own skirt?

The tabletop is 29.75" high on the legomodular tables.  Tabletop modules (like
the PNLTC style tables) will need to be 38.25" high to match up.  The NMRA
will not supply table skirts, but any table skirts we bring must have a
certificate showing that they have been treated with a flame retardent for
fire codes.  Although I think this is ridiculous for our layout, I can see
that it would be necessary for others, as most of the layouts there will have
exposed electrical wiring under their tables and their layouts are much more
flammable than our Lego one will be.

Its too bad half the sidewalks have to be 6 wide, 4 is enough, as the two
brick difference is a lot of extra space.

Well, I could make the sidewalks 4 wide all around, but then the building lots
end up being 36x32 or 28x24, which is a real odd size.  I think I can get it
worked out OK, but it will just take a little more playing around.

Do you plan to use any "LEGO SET" buildings like Pizza to Go, or ???
If you need a warehouse, w/ rollup's we can convert our hanger.
I still think a construction site would be cool.

Mark

I personally won't be putting any Lego sets on the layout other than the train
sets.  I would rather showcase the MOCs that we make over sets that Lego
makes.  After all, this is the Bay Area Lego Train Club display, not Lego's.
If they want us to display their sets, they should make sets that would
impress people.  I would run lots of Lego sets if they were as good as Ben's
2001 sets.

Mike