Subject:
Best-Lock review: 4314 Shuttle & Crawler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:33:52 GMT

LEGO® Set Review Form V2.1
created by Joshua Delahunty  (Internet: dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu)
4314
Best-Lock / City Life
Shuttle & Crawler
Ages 5+, 680 Pcs. (C)1998?. 29 page manual: 5 models, 43 total steps.
Price Range: US $29.99 + tax. Their web page sells it for US $55+ shipping
RATINGS (Scale:  Must-Have  Excellent  Very-Good  Good  Fair  Poor)
Set: Good  /  Models: Very-Good / Playability: Poor
DECALS?  No
SET DESCRIPTION
This set builds a large crawler that transports the shuttle with its booster rockets and fuel tank. It also has a   small control building. All alternate models are space shuttles and buildings. It is similar to 6456 Mission Control.
SPECIAL ELEMENTS
This set features many special elements.  There are literally too many to list.
The elements I first noticed were the large assemblies the treads are built on.
IMPRESSION
Originally when I heard about Best-Lock and visited their web page, I was
interested in their sets. But, If you looked at their prices, they were
ridiculously overpriced. I waited to hear reviews from other r.t.l.'ers, but
there weren't any. Then, when I saw it at their sets at Target®, I knew I had to
get one to try, especially after my post  got such attention.
Set Rating
This set was rated good because it is overall a well put together package.
However, you get what you pay for. If you compare it to 6456 Mission Control,
Mission Control is a better set. And you pay for the better quality.
Model Rating
This set was rated very-good because it is designed very well. The models are
realistic looking. There are no decals or printing to clutter it up.
Unfortunately, space shuttles are not a new design.
Playability Rating
The playability is very poor. It doesn't stay together for beans. I had to put
the crawler together ten times before I had it stable enough to move. The
shuttle is playable, however the bay door is hard to close. The booster rockets
fall apart, and the building isn't very stable.
Likes/Dislikes
I really like the models. However, I like space shuttle sets anyway. See Scale
and Errors for my dislikes.
Scale
Very large downfall of this set: the space shuttle isn't minifig scale. It was
not designed for a figure to ride in. Also, there aren't any controls on the
crawler for driving.
Errors
My set was missing one piece, a 1x6 black brick. The set states, "This product
can be used with other brands." This statement is true. While it can be used
with LEGO®, it is not compatible. The plates are too thick and the bricks are
too short. However, you can attach the two brands together. I DO NOT recommend
mixing it with LEGO®.
Extra Elements
There were seven extra pieces: (1) 1x8 black plate; (1) 1x2 white tile; (5) 1x1
red plates.
CONCLUSION
I recommend this set if you want to create a display or diorama, but I do not
recommend it to mix with LEGO®. It is a nice, accurate depiction of a space
shuttle, and makes a fine model.
REVIEWER INFORMATION
Review Written: January 9, 1999
By: Russell Clark rclark@telis.org
Age 23 Favorite Theme: Town, Trains, Technic
I buy LEGO® sets based on how they fit into my city, Paradise City.
COPYRIGHT
This review is Copyright 1999, by the author as named above. The
author grants publication rights for all uses, public and private,
with the following exceptions: all information in the document must
be published in full; any for-profit use requires express written
permission for publication or quotation of the author.