Re: Use Lugnet for Bay Area LEGO Mailing List?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 15:56:42 GMT

Hi Erik.

I e-mailed Ray Flournoy last night recommending that we should at least give it
a try to see how it works out. I, for one, am in favor of giving it a go, but
not wholly relying upon it until we are sure it's what we want.

Disadvantage: some folks won't see it with their newsreaders because of firewall
issues, lack of proper configuration, etc. For those that like a bit more
control, another disadvantage is that there is technically no subscription, that
is, information is received by everyone - any appeal to block access by any
"unruly" (or worse) person would have to be made to the webmaster.

but...

Advantage: if folks don't have access to this ng via their newsreader, Todd
Lehman has constructed a decent web reader for all the lugnet ng's at
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi and it's undergoing improvements. It
saves a bit of hassle maintaining current e-mail addresses, and for those like
me without the ability to separate address books into applicable groups (like
"lego folks") it makes it very easy.

IMO, advantages outweigh disadvantages.

Erik Wilson wrote:

Proposed Debate:

Should we use lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf instead of the Bay Area LEGO Mailing List?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each format?  Perhaps we should
use both?

--
From Tom McDonald
Anti-spam block in place.