Re: Wal Mart specials
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:58:53 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, ba-lego@cinnamon.com writes:
I went by the Wal Mart in Milpitas today and I couldn't find ANYTHING that
was marked down. Even the stuff on the *clearance* aisle looked like it was
full price. Anybody know what's up?

Let me guess -- no other toy stores in Milpitas?

I don't live in your area, but WAL-MART is a national chain and I've heard that
they apply different pricing policies in each store based on conditions in each
store's local market.

If a WAL-MART has competition they charge low prices. Once the competition has
moved away or gone out of business they raise their prices (often to something
higher than "normal"). This allows them to make up for losses in new stores
with profits in old stores.

I would imagine they even control their pricing department-by-department,
offering low prices only in departments whose products have competition.

- Robert Munafo                           http://www.mrob.com/
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13