Re: BayLUG Get-Together summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:04:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, ba-lego@cinnamon.com (Zonker Harris) writes:
Hello all,

It looks like we've finished with the discussions and follow-ups
from our first meeting. So, maybe it's time to summarize what we
have discussed, and then move on to picking the next site and date? :-)

Same place? August 7?

IN GENERAL TERMS, folks seemed to agree that;
+ meetings should have a club portion, and then be open to the public • yup
+ that "do not touch" areas, and "free play" areas should be separated
     (people should set up their displays in the appropriate area...) • yup
+ there should be a club-only trading/selling time, during the meeting
yup. maybe we can meet a little earlier to allow a bit more time for this or
push the "open" time to a bit later?
+ we should show videos, and other show & tell, during the club-only part
     (allowing members with displays to get parts before they have to
      watch their displays.) • ayup
+ maybe we can arrange shifts of folks to help in the Free Play area,
     as well as keeping an eye on the "do not touch" areas. • yup. I volunteer for the first "watch".
- I didn't sense a strong attachment to "theme" meetings. Did I miss it?
Remembering Gyugi's creations, I kinda like having folks be "free and freaky"
(to use a Doonesbury-like Zonker phrase :) to bring their own stuff unless we
kinda decide ahead of time. I'd like to have a "space base" section this time
around, perhaps a whole table, though I'm not lobbying that the entire meeting
be space-themed.

I can post a more detailed collection of thoughts from everyone's email
messages if folks are interested in the details.

Couldn't hurt.. Thanks for collecting these!

We are welcomed to return to the Fremont Library, and the site seemed
to have a lot of advantages (tables, power, access to public transit,
and a good location for drop-in folks), and if we meet in Fremont, we
also have a press contact who can get a pre-mmeting announcement in the
local papers for future meetings in Fremont. On the other hand, we have
also talked about having the meetings move around the bay a bit. We are
still a small group, without a large anchor in any city, so we should
be able to move the meetings around if we want.

I'd suggest we propose a few potential city locations, and see what
sites we can get access to.

I'll try and look around in the middle east bay a little. That Fukaya Room is
definitely a standard to shoot for.

(Heck, our first meeteing only happened
because Mark Benz got the ball rolling, and then made the arrangements
with the library!)

Yes. Mark is da man!

Who wants to host the next one?

What's involved in hosting? Just arranging for the room and knowing where
there's a nearby Burger King? ;)

If we end up back
in Fremont in the fall, maybe we can get a holiday train running, since
I should have made good progress on the roundhouse by then! :-)

Maybe that can be an early/mid November GTG! Since you'll be farther along
maybe that can be a train-themed meeting.

-Tom McD.

-- 8<----( clip and save! )-------------------------------------
http://baylug.org/carlsbad99.html  Grand Opening Planning Page
http://baylug.org/zonker/  my main page
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZFSOne.html  the Firehouse
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZRondDom.html  the Round House
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZTrajnoj.html  my trains page
http://baylug.org/zonker/ZSignal.html  LED signal circuit
http://baylug.org/zonker/tables/building.html  table plans
       David K. Z. Harris    frenezulo@esperanto.org
"It's a good start, but I'm always looking for a few more LEGOs"

Where's the 50% off in this coupon?