Re: My first look at Zeum...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:04:21 GMT

Hi Zonk,
Thanks for the report.
Sorry we can't help out at Zeum.
We should likely have a load of flyers though for BAYLUG
and of course our meeting 2 weeks later. LMK if you need a
new one or tailored fro Zeum, etc.
Yours,
Mark

--- "David K. Z. Harris" <frenezulo@baylug.org> wrote:
  This is my reconnaisance report, for the upcoming LEGO
display and
activities, to be put on by BayLUG members. I'm only
available for 10/14
(Sunday), but they'd love to have us in on 10/13 as well.
(The LEGO event is
being advertised on postcards and flyers as both
days...can anyone offer to
be in charge for a display on that Saturday? Get in touch
with me...)

  Zeum is located on the coners of 4th and Howard, just a
stones throw
distance from the main doors to Moscone Center. It is on
the promenade
level, just up from the sidewalk in that area. (Watch for
the signage and
steps going up...)

  Parking is the same to attend this as it is for
Moscone...limited street
parking (all with coin meters), and some for-pay garages
in the area.
Fortunately, it's also very close to the BART Powell
Street Station (use the
4th & Market exit), and it's also on the MUNI bus lines.
(You can find
directions on the http://www.zeum.org/ website.)

  The site has a number of existing activity areas. I'm
not sure how often
they are changed, but my guess is that many of them
continue month to month.
There is a large Kinex rollercoaster. There was a station
(with a
supervisor) with a hot glue gun, to mount soda straws on
plastic trays, and
mounting construction paper sails...kids can then 'race'
their boats in a
metal tub on the outside balcony. There were also some
hands-on exhibits on
the balcony about bridges, and why they work. There is a
small room set up
as a clay-mation stop-motion animation lab.

  There are two walls, attached at 90-degrees to each
other, with many large
grey LEGO baseplates mounted to the walls, and ~5-gallon
tubs of basic
bricks, which kids can attach to the wall. We saw names,
signs, and an
American flag, among other creations.

  Visitors are always coming and going, so we probably
won't have a bunch of
folks that  stick with us for 4 hours...my plan is to
have a bunch of small
to medium difficulty projects, and we'll just try to help
teach some basic
science as well as give folks chances to explore
different facets of
building with LEGO.

  The visiting artists usually work in one area, using a
few 2' x 5' fold-up
tables, supplied by the Zeum staff. There are also some
small chairs
available (which should be requested in advance).

  There is a loading dock, but no parking for visiting
staff.  We can use
the dock to load-in and load-out, but we need to plan on
parking elsewhere.

  Zeum has 4 Mindstorms RCX kits that we can use for the
demos. We should
probably look for a few good models to bring as examples.
We can probably
use some of their basic bricks to supplement the
Mindstorms kits. I'm also
going to look into getting some basic parts to bring
along, but I'm also
betting that some of those parts won't be coming home
with me.

  Besides the normal area for visiting artists, there is
also a small lounge
area near the entrance, in front of full-height windows.
Paul and I thought
that this might be a good place to set up one or two
tables, partly as a way
to make the event more visible to people passing by, and
also to be away
from some of the distractions of the other displays.

  On the other hand, the normal area is close to the
outside balcony, so we
could work on a couple of bridge exhibits, and refer to
the other bridge
displays on the balcony...

  There is also another area, on their second floor,
called the "Z Room",
which is usually reserved for private parties, birthdays,
etc., and we may
be able to use that space. (We are also going to explore
the chance to uset
that room for a future BayLUG meeting...)

  I'm also hoping to get a couple BayLUG folks to help by
coming to take
pictures, and shoot some video of the event, for our
archives...plus we will
need a few folks that can help explain how to build with
LEGO. (Mindstorms
experience is not needed, and you might even be able to
learn a little bit
about the Mindstorms stuff if you like.)

   If you have questions, please feel encouraged to ask
me!

      -Z-